Results and fixtures for the League CupTuesday 3rd Round ——————————————————————— Burton Albion (0) 2 Burnley (1) 1 Wycombe Wanderers (1) 3 Norwich City (3) 4 Oxford United (0) 0 Manchester City (1) 3 Millwall (0) 1 Fulham (1) 3 AFC Bournemouth (1) 3 Blackburn Rovers (0) 2 Preston North End (1) 5 Middlesbrough (1) 6 …. full-time: 2-2 penalties: 3-4 Middlesbrough win 6-5 on penalties Wolverhampton Wanderers (0) 1 Leicester City (0) 3 …. full-time: 0-0 penalties: 1-3 Leicester City win 3-1 on penalties Blackpool (1) 2 Queens Park Rangers (0) 0 West Bromwich Albion (0) 0 Crystal Palace (1) 3Manchester United (1) 2 Derby County (0) 2 …. full-time: 2-2 Derby County win 8-7 on penalties Wednesday, September 26 fixtures (BST/GMT) Arsenal v Brentford (1945/1845) West Ham United v Macclesfield Town (1945/1845) Liverpool v Chelsea (1945/1845) Nottingham Forest v Stoke City (1945/1845) Tottenham Hotspur v Watford (2000/1900)
– STETHS vs Cedric Titus at Jarrett Park – Manchester vs Ewarton at Bramwell Sports Club – Dinthill vs Oracabessa at Manchester – Glenmuir vs Denbigh at Drax Hall – St Mary Technical vs Steer Town at Drax Hall – Spot Valley vs Fair Prospect at Lynch Park – Paul Bogle vs Holmwood at Manchester – Frome vs Munro at STETHS Zone N – preliminary round match – Central vs Garvey Maceo at Juici Field Western Bureau: The seeded second round of the 2017 ISSA/FLOW daCosta Cup competition will get under way afternoon. The introduction of the controversial new system has placed defending champions Cornwall College second on the seeding chart facing number 31 seed Morant Bay High at Paul Bogle High at 3 p.m. Cornwall have not looked the impressive team they were last year in the first round. They lost to minnows Maldon in the first round and and coach Dr Dean Weatherly said there are no easy games in this round and he expects a tough game against a well-coached team. “Although they (Morant Bay) are seeded at 31, we can’t take them lightly … it’s a well-coached team, from what I heard, they are playing good football. We hope to come out victorious, but it won’t be a walk in the park because we expecting them to throw everything at us,” Weatherly said. Weatherly believes that while his team this year might lack a lot of individual talent, it is more rounded and depend less on any one player. “The team last year would probably have a better strike force in individual talent, but I think this team is more an all-round one. Last year, we had that individual we could go to and it probably caused our downfall in a couple of matches, so although we may not have that prolific striker, we have a rounded team,” said Weatherly. Coach of Morant Bay High Darian Lard said there is a confident mood in the camp as the team hasn’t been to the second round of the competition for a long time. They will be looking to pull off an upset win. “A win would be a dream come true especially for the people in the parish,” said Lard. Today’s games
Dear Editor,Many vacancy advertisements in the local media seem to ignore some basic criteria of cost effective advertising such as the need to catch the attention of potential candidates and to attract a sufficient number of applicants to facilitate a competitive selection process.Newspaper advertising is undoubtedly the most popular but is not the only method for achieving such objectives; trade journals, radio, TV, in-house and word-of-mouth come readily to mind; and, in today’s fast-paced, ubiquitous, electronic communication, we cannot ignore the cost-free Social Media as perhaps the best means of getting our messages across. Newspaper ads are expensive and must therefore be properly used to achieve cost-benefit effectiveness.A review of all the Vacancy ads appearing in all the local newspapers last Sunday reveals many ‘malpractices’.For example: using the routine ‘clerical’ or ‘defensive’ approach by replicating details from the Job Descriptions and regurgitating the Job Specifications instead of studiously internalising and smartly projecting the essential aspects of the job and applying some ‘marketing’ techniques/approaches to sell it.In this context, it must be realised that people who are happy and challenged in their current positions do not normally ‘look out’ for vacancy ads, yet these are the very people who should be targeted in any serious ad; hence the need for the ‘marketing’ vs the ‘bureaucratic’ approach. (Notwithstanding, it must also be cautioned that the essential focus of an ad must not be lost in verbiage that is confusing; there is a clear example of such confusion in a lengthy ad appearing in last Sunday’s Chronicle where a major corporation confused the search for ‘a person’ to market an asset with ‘the asset’ itself!.Another trend from the review of last Sunday’s ads is the insensitivity to ‘balance’ in that ads for routine clerical functions were given the high prominence and costly space typically reserved for relatively senior professionals heading up major organisational functions. Another major corporation, guilty of this remiss, has been repeating the said ad all of this week.A rather offensive practice is to include at the bottom of ads a note to the effect that “only shortlisted applications will be acknowledged”! What is the purpose or value of such an insulting, off-putting, note? I can think of no better way to deter good applications. It cannot be that the cost or burden of acknowledging all applications is a factor in this e-mail age.It is also worth noting that sometimes (for example for confidentiality/or to avoid undue speculations) it might be better to use a professional ‘head-hunter’ or for the HR Manager and other senior executives to assume the role of typical head hunters instead of always adopting the conventional recruitment processes.Yours truly,Nowrang Persaud
Dear Editor,I was elated to see the full-page advertisement on March 14, 2018, showcasing GuySuCo’s new Board of Directors. The Cabinet did well in the selection of this new Board. From the information on the Directors shown in the advertisement, one can gather that this new Board is filled with years of experience in the sugar industry, as well as experience managing companies and finances.Moreover, I was heartened to see that the new Chairman of the Board is Colvin Heath-London. As an avid reader, I have seen Heath-London’s name pop up many times over the years, and it is always something positive about the work that he has done on the international scene, or at home in Guyana. To paraphrase the full-page advertisement, the new Chairman is a man with a wealth of experience in consultancy/advisory positions and is no novice in the world of sugar, and business turnarounds. He has worked on multibillion-dollar projects in the Region, and across the world, and was instrumental in putting together the US$150 million CJIA expansion project.I also gathered from the advertisement that the Board is well balanced in age. This should enable a balance of fresh ideas with the knowledge from decades of experience. In addition to this, I also took note that three former Directors of the Board are on this new Board. These veterans, in retrospection, should be able to show the new blood where things have gone bad and where the Board was able to have success in the past. As with every important thing that we do in life, striking a balance is vital to being successful.As a proud citizen of Guyana, I implore all of my fellow Guyanese, especially those in powerful and influential positions, to give this new Board a chance. Our sugar industry is important to our economy and livelihood of thousands of Guyanese, and anything other than working together would be counterproductive to reviving the sugar industry. With the balance, experience and knowledge of the new Board, we should be optimistic about the future of the sugar industry.Sincerely,Tony Morgan
… as Caricom ChairFollowing his assumption of the Caribbean Community (Caricom) Chairmanship at the beginning of 2017, President David Granger will be pushing to further enhance the ‘single economy’ within the Region.The Guyanese Leader assumed the chairmanship as per the Rotation Schedule for the Chairmanship of the Conference of Heads of Government, and his first task as Chair would be hosting the 28th Inter-sessional Meeting of Caricom Heads of Government, slated for February 16 and 17.President David GrangerAt that meeting, Granger said he would be building on the work of the founders of the movement and his predecessor, Prime Minister of Dominica, Roosevelt Skerrit.“I’m not a lone wolf; I’m not going to bring about some miraculous change. I would like to continue their work to build the economy of the Caribbean,” the President told reporters on “The Public Interest” programme aired on Thursday.On this note, he highlighted the importance of the Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME), noting that once they get the single economy right, the success of other forms of regional cooperation would follow.President Granger continued that with the existing challenges in the Caribbean –Trinidad having faced some challenges because of the collapse of oil prices, Barbados under some stress and similarly Suriname – many of these countries have turned to Guyana as a place for investment.“There’re nearly 20 Surinamese companies operating in Guyana; the Barbadian company is in the Rupununi; Trinidad has a lot of experience in petroleum, and so my thrust will be in the economy and I’d like to move more quickly towards building that Caribbean Single Market and Economy – it’s all about the economy,” the Guyanese Leader posited.In preparation of the Inter-sessional Meeting of Caricom Heads of Government, President Granger earlier this month met with Secretary General of the body, Ambassador Irwin LaRocque and a delegation from the Secretariat, which included Advisor to the Secretary General, Neville Bissember and Executive Director, Human Resource Management at the Caricom Secretariat, Charmaine Atkinson-Jordan.Also at that meeting were Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge and Head of the Caricom Unit in the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Charlene Phoenix.In his New Year’s message to the Community, the Guyanese Head of State placed people at the centre of the integration movement, and pointed to the actions that were being taken to ensure they were secure and safe, and equipped for the 21st Century economy and society.“2017 holds great promise for us to advance our integration process, which can only be possible through the involvement and participation of all. Let us resolve to play our part in strengthening our Caribbean Community and to making regional unity a living, breathing experience,” he outlined.The President went on to note that the Five-Year Strategic Plan for the period 2015-2019 was a foundational element in the Community’s reform process. That process, he stressed, is geared towards ensuring that the Caribbean people feel the impact of the integration movement in their daily lives.“Integration is not merely about systems and institutions. It is mostly about people,” he said in the message.
Although the council had sought to lift the ban, members backed off that proposal after receiving numerous complaints from residents opposed to fireworks sales. Four teams of two officers specifically assigned to combat fireworks began patrolling Whittier on June 28 and continued through July 4. The teams issued 12 citations on Wednesday and 10 during the previous six days. Those cited face fines of up to $1,000 each. The Police Department also received 244 calls reporting fireworks during the past week, including 115 on Wednesday. WHITTIER – A police crackdown on Fourth of July fireworks resulted in 22 citations and an overall feeling among city officials that fewer residents violated Whittier’s fireworks ban, officials said Thursday. While the number of citations issued to residents for firing off fireworks was up from five last year, Officer Diana Salazar of the Whittier Police Department said officers in the field reported fewer people shooting off fireworks. “It seemed to me like it was less,” said City Councilman Greg Nordbak. “It also appeared that most of those going off were safe and sane. And most of those people took it to their back yard.” A 20-year city ban on all fireworks, including the “safe and sane” types sold legally in some nearby cities, including Pico Rivera and Montebello, was upheld earlier this year by the City Council. Salazar said it’s difficult for police to catch people actually breaking the fireworks law. “You have to catch people in the act,” she said. “You’ll see fireworks in the street, but there’s nobody lighting them. That makes it difficult to pinpoint who the person is.” After deciding to continue the 20-year ban, council members ordered a police crackdown. Signs were posted at the city borders stating that fireworks are illegal in Whittier. Edith Thede, a resident of the Palm Park area since 1968, believes the crackdown might have made an impact. She said she hosed down her roof and lawn on Wednesday, preparing for the worst, but that turned out not to be necessary. “Usually it starts around late June, when we hear the firecrackers and the booms,” Thede said. “This year was much quieter. I give a lot of credit to the police and the city.” Councilman Joe Vinatieri credited the residents. “I believe the people of Whittier got the message,” Vinatieri said. “It means our emphasis paid off.” email@example.com (562)698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Anyone with information about the suspect was asked to call (866) 247-5877. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER – A man jumped a fence onto a Lancaster elementary school campus yesterday and fondled three female students then fled, sparking a lengthy search by sheriff’s deputies of the school and surrounding neighborhood, officials said. The suspect approached four female students in a classroom at Sierra Elementary School, 747 W. Avenue J-12, before classes began this morning. The man approached the group of students and grabbed one victim and fondled her chest and genital area. He then touched two of the other students in the same manner, Capt. Joe L. Gutierrez of the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station said. The victims were all 7 years old, said Sgt. Diane Hecht of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau. The man fled when a teacher’s aide came from around the corner of the classroom building, he said. The principal tried to follow the suspect, but lost sight of him. The suspect was described as being in his early 20s, 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing 150 to 170 pounds. He had black hair and brown eyes and was wearing a black T-shirt with brown pants. Detectives with the sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau investigated the possibility that the suspect had committed similar acts recently, Gutierrez said. One incident occurred at the same school, and another last week occurred at the Mariposa Elementary School, according to KCAL9. One parent told KCAL she was not surprised at how easily a person could wander into a classroom. “You know what? It was bound to happen. It was,” Georgina Delatorre said. “All the gates are open … when school’s out they open every single gate. There’s nobody watching the kids. I mean, these bad guys, they notice that.”
Kurt Zouma will this week undergo knee surgery which will rule him out for the rest of the season and Euro 2016, Chelsea have announced.The France defender injured his anterior cruciate ligament in Sunday’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Manchester United.A statement on Chelsea’s official webiste read: “Kurt will undergo surgery in the next 48 hours and is expected to be out for approximately six months.”Zouma landed awkwardly early in the second half of the drawn Premier League contest and was taken off on a stretcher.He vowed to return “stronger”.The 21-year-old wrote on Twitter: “Scan today has shown I injured my ACL. I will have surgery this week & will come back stronger. Thank you everyone for all the messages.” Kurt Zouma Scan today has shown I injured my ACL. I will have surgery this week & will come back stronger. Thank you everyone for all the messages 🙏🏻🙏🏻— Kurt Zouma (@KurtZouma) February 8, 2016 1 May god bless and protects you all 🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿 #CFCfamily pic.twitter.com/uwglXOOEyB— Kurt Zouma (@KurtZouma) February 8, 2016
A leading Letterkenny supermarket seeks staff to join their hard-working, dynamic and enthusiastic team. Spar at Glencar Shopping Centre is a busy outlet due to its close proximity to the hospital and town centre.The shop now requires deli assistants and kitchen porters to work alongside other staff on a busy delicatessen counter. The right person for the job should be:· Experienced· Have a knowledge of food safety· Have a flair for food· Be able to work under their own incentive· Be able to work in fast-paced environmentThese are immediate positions, unfortunately, these hours will not suit students as flexibility is a must 7 days a week.Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org Job Vacancies: Popular convenience store seeks Deli and Kitchen staff was last modified: February 6th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Convenience StoreJob VacancyletterkennySpar Glencar
1 Rob Holding in action in Arsenal’s defeat to Southampton Rob Holding believes Arsenal’s much-changed side was good enough to win the EFL Cup, despite seeing them crash out against Southampton on Wednesday.Arsene Wenger made ten changes to the team that had beaten Bournemouth in their Premier League outing at the weekend, but those who came into the starting line-up failed to rise to the occasion.Jordy Clasie’s first goal for Southampton was followed up by a smart Ryan Bertrand finish as Saints, who made eight changes of their own, won 2-0 and eased through into a semi-final against Liverpool.Wenger defended his decision, saying the changes were not the “problem”, and defender Holding – one of those drafted into the rotated side – echoed the views of his boss.“You look at the players we had out, there were some big players,” he said.“You think with the strength of the squad, a second string team can get all the way – but it wasn’t to be.“It was a chance to get some silverware at the end of the season, so I’m disappointed to be out of the competition.“There’s not much more I can say really. We’ve just got to learn from it and it’ll only help us in the coming years.”The Emirates Stadium was practically half-empty by the time the full-time whistle was blown, and it was greeted by a chorus of jeers from frustrated Arsenal fans as they succumbed to their first defeat since the opening weekend of the season.The League Cup, in all of its guises, has eluded Wenger throughout his 20 years as Arsenal boss and he often treats the competition as a way of blooding his young players.But the Gunners sit fourth in the Premier League and it is almost certain they will progress in their Champions League group as runners-up, so this has been seen as another missed opportunity.