China tries to flip the pandemic script, starring a ‘reborn’ Wuhan

first_imgThe PR blitz plays out daily in comments by Chinese officials and lavish state media coverage of a “reborn” Wuhan that trumpets China’s epidemic-control efforts and economic recovery while the United States struggles. “This testifies to Wuhan’s triumph over the virus and that (the city) is back in business.” It’s a common complaint in Wuhan, blamed by many business owners on lingering fear of going out in public and the widely expressed belief that millions who fled the city early in the pandemic have still not returned. The growing confidence was displayed at a Wuhan pool party attended by thousands of mask-less people last month that prompted overseas accusations of recklessness after images of the event went viral. “There are few places in the world today where you don’t need a mask and can gather,” a Chinese official, Lin Songtian, told the executives, implying that Wuhan was one of those places. Lost in this retelling, however, is that a wet market in Wuhan is widely believed to be ground zero for the pandemic. And memories of a subsequent virus cluster in May, which triggered a citywide effort to test millions, remain fresh. China countered that the party indicated the nation’s success in taming the coronavirus. “The economy has really declined. The benefit of even coming to work is questionable,” said Yi Xinhua, 51, who sells tofu from her stall at a Wuhan wet market. “Beijing wants the narrative to be: we handled it, we can help you handle it and (hopefully) we’re the first to have a vaccine that works,” said Kelsey Broderick, Asia analyst with Eurasia Group. “That’s really the only way China can come out ahead of the idea that a wet market in Wuhan started this crisis.” “Everyone is afraid the epidemic will return, you know? The summer is over, and winter is coming,” said Yi. The three-day Wuhan tour also included foreign media outlets and ended Saturday. “The fact that the US is not only not doing enough, but actually doing things that go against American interests, is a big help to China,” she said. WUHAN, China — China is recasting Wuhan as a heroic coronavirus victim and trying to throw doubt on the pandemic’s origin story as it aims to seize the narrative at a time of growing global distrust of Beijing. Face masks sag from the neck or are abandoned altogether. The city of 11 million — which suffered more than 80% of China’s 4,634 Covid-19 deaths — has come a long way since the pandemic’s grim early days, when a suffocating weeks-long lockdown rendered it a ghost town. ‘Absolutely safe’ No new local transmissions have been reported in months, traffic jams are back, shoppers cram malls, and al fresco diners gobble up the city’s signature spicy crayfish dish. The drive peaked in the past week as Chinese primary schools welcomed back students with considerable fanfare and Wuhan hosted executives from dozens of multinationals, from Panasonic to Dow and Nokia, on a highly choreographed tour of the central Chinese city. The drive indicates China recognises Covid-19’s damage to its brand and wants to leverage its relatively successful recovery to counter growing international challenges, analysts said. Blocks of tofu were neatly arranged by shape and size, but there few buyers — Yi says her sales are only half of the pre-pandemic level. “I think now Wuhan should be absolutely safe.” ‘Winter is coming’ China’s foreign minister suggested on August 28 during a European outreach trip that the virus might not have emerged in China. Many Wuhan citizens express persistent concern over an uneven recovery and fear of new outbreaks. It featured primary-school students performing traditional Chinese opera and ballet, a renovated food market presented as a model of sanitation, and a Yangtze riverfront cruise underneath a skyline ablaze with towering light displays referencing the virus recovery. But not everyone is taking a victory lap. “What risks can there be?” asked Wuhan factory worker Xie Ailiang while speaking to AFP. Wuhan employers complain online that the exodus has also reduced the local labour pool. The fumbling US pandemic response provides a clear opening, said Yun Jiang, director of Australian National University’s China Policy Centre. China faces foreign bitterness over the virus and an initial cover-up attempt by Wuhan officials, plus criticism of Beijing’s tightening grip on Hong Kong and generally more aggressive international posture. “We’ve recovered a bit. But if the virus comes back, we’ll be hit again.” (Philippine Star)last_img read more

Hall of Fame referee and coach Mike Robillard leaves legacy on Muskegon area sports

first_img Add Comments (Max 320 characters) Displayed poorly Inappropriate / Offensive Bestseller Not relevant Add Comments (Max 320 characters) $14.99 Mona Shores High School gave tribute to Robillard on Friday, Feb. 17 during its home basketball games against Reeths-Puffer. Photo/Joe Lane × In the dugout during pregame at the 2015 baseball state finals. Photo/Tim Reilly Pregame at the 2015 state finals. Photo/Tim Reilly ENDS IN Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Twelve Other Ads by Amazon Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Shares Other Add Comments (Max 320 characters) DEAL OF THE DAY DEAL OF THE DAY Add Comments (Max 320 characters) Report a problem This item is… Robillard stands (back row, fourth in from right) with the MCC baseball team before a game at Comerica Park in 2014. Photo/Tim Reilly DEAL OF THE DAY Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. (35309) (1445) Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Inappropriate / Offensive Add Comments (Max 320 characters) Not relevant Sports Illustrated Displayed poorly Other Add Comments (Max 320 characters) LocalSportsJournal.comThey say if he had run for mayor, he probably would have won.That’s how well loved Mike Robillard was in the community.Sadly Robillard, a beloved referee and coach in the Muskegon area for more than 40 years, died on Friday after a 22-day battle with leukemia.Mike Robillard Robillard built an extensive resume in the sports world over his 64 years of life. He refereed five high school boys basketball state championship games, one girls basketball state final and a football state final. He also officiated at least a dozen state semifinalgames.He had extensive experience at the collegiate level, working Division II, III, NAIA and junior college games for more than 20 years.He served as president of the USA Officials Association and served as a certified trainer of new game officials. He was also president of the Reeths-Puffer Little League for many years.“Mike was a friend of everybody,” said Muskegon Catholic varsity baseball coach Steve Schuitema, who Robillard assisted for eight seasons. “He loved Muskegon Catholic Central, too. The work he did on the facility (baseball field) was constant. He was there all the time. The kids just loved him so much.”Robillard was just as effective as a coach as he was as a referee, according to Schuitema.“He had a lot of knowledge and made an impact on the kids on the team,” said Schuitema, who noted the MCC baseball team’s 130-13 record while Robillard served as an assistant. “You have to have good players, but Mike brought a lot to the table. He related so well with the kids. They all loved him. There are some real heart-broken kids right now.”Robillard stands to the right of the 2015 MCC baseball state title trophy which is in the hands of Coach Steve Schuitema. The Crusaders beat Centerville 10-8 in the state championship game at Michigan State University. Photo/Tim ReillyRobillard was inducted into the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan Hall of Fame in 2013 as an official. He was inducted into the National Association of Sports Officials Hall of Fame in 2014.“He (Robillard) was kind of the officiating compass of the West Michigan area,” said Mark Uyl, assistant director of the Michigan High School Athletic Association. “What made him an outstanding official was his understanding and common sense about the rules, but he also knew how to work with coaches on the sidelines.“The void that he leaves is absolutely enormous. It wasn’t just so much the games Mike worked. It was the new people he was recruiting, the people he was training. The tree Mike was able to grow is something that will grow for years and years to come, and that’s what you can take from his life.”Robillard graduated from Orchard View High School in 1970 and went on to serve as a flight medic for the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War.He worked for the past 30 years as the sales manager at Morrison Industrial Equipment. He was an active member, and head usher, at Prince of Peace Catholic Church.Robillard leaves behind his wife of 41 years, Wanda, and children Allison (Andrew) Kolbe and Eric Robillard.Visitation will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at The Lee Chapel (6291 S. Harvey St) from 4-8 p.m. with Mass celebrated at Prince of Peace Catholic Church (1100 Dykstra Rd. N. Muskegon), 11 a.m. Thursday.Memorials in Mike’s honor may be made to the Muskegon Catholic Central Baseball Program. $9.99 Bestseller Robillard stands to the right of the 2015 MCC baseball state title trophy at Michigan State University. Holding the trophy is Coach Steve Schuitema who helped lead the Crusaders to the 10-8 win over Centerville in the state championship game. Photo/Tim Reilly × Shop Now Displayed poorly Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Report a problem This item is… Other Inappropriate / Offensive Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Special… (3879) Add Comments (Max 320 characters) (5153) Report a problem This item is… Robilllard hands out a five after an MCC inning during the 2015 state finals. Photo/Tim Reilly At the far right, Robilard walks on the field as MCC wins state title game. Photo/Tim Reilly Standing to the far left is Robillard with the MCC baseball team. Photo/Tim Reilly Not relevant × × FOX Sports: Stream live NFL, College Footbal… Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Not relevant $0.00 Mail Ads by Amazoncenter_img $19.38 Nuun Sport: Electrolyte Drink Tablets, Citru… Inappropriate / Offensive Displayed poorly × DEAL OF THE DAY Other Bestseller × Share Lemedy Women Padded Sports Bra Fitness Wo… Inappropriate / Offensive $20.00$233.61 $22.99 Inappropriate / Offensive (32825) Inappropriate / Offensive ENDS IN DEAL OF THE DAY Report a problem This item is… Add Comments (Max 320 characters) $0.00 Report a problem This item is… Not relevant Report a problem This item is… Inappropriate / Offensive ENDS IN DEAL OF THE DAY Other Other Bestseller Bestseller Report a problem This item is… × Not relevant Report a problem This item is… Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Other Displayed poorly DEAL OF THE DAY (832) ENDS IN DEAL OF THE DAY ENDS IN Thank you! This will help us improve your ad experience. We will try not to show you such ads again. Bestseller × Displayed poorly Share Bestseller Bestseller $0.00 NBC Sports Displayed poorly Not relevant Not relevant ENDS IN Displayed poorly ENDS IN ENDS IN (8133) Fox Sports Go (975)last_img read more

RFS scores five goals and destroys ‘Metta’

first_imgIn the 16th round of the “Optibet” Latvian Football Super League, the vice-leader RFS will play on his field with the result 5: 1 (1: 0). beat other Riga unit “Metta”. Content will continue after the ad Advertising Slovenian defender Žiga Lipuščeks scored two goals for the home team, Namdi Ofors, Aleksandrs Solovjovs and Jānis Ikaunieks scored one by one, and Raimonds Krollis stood out for the guests.The goal fell already in the second minute of the match, when Ofors scored his ninth goal of the season, becoming the most productive player of the club and reaching the second place in the list of snipers “Jūrmala” Spartaka “Nemanju Belakovič.The second goal was also scored with the head, after the long shot hit the tallest Lipušček and sent the ball under the crossbar. No one even really bothered him.In the 51st minute, Lipuščeks was “to blame” for scoring again, but again, the goalkeeper Helmuts Saulītis blocked the ball, but, trying to help him, Krollis headed the ball over his goal line, Saulītis caught the ball only after that.Five minutes later the ball hit the visitors’ goal again after touching the “Metta” defenders, but after Solovjov’s shot the ball bounced somewhere in the middle between the two “Metta” players, who tried to stop the ball at the goal line – 4: 0. After 65 minutes, the visitors nearly went up a goal, but Krollim’s free kick hit the crossbar.67 minutes into the game, Lipuščeka was the replacement.79 minutes into the match, the visitors’ central line of defense had to look on as fc. After a combination of several players on the left side of the field, Ikaunieks hit the goal in the penalty area, the ball is pushed into the goal for the third time after contact with the guest defender 5: 1.In the first round match, the RFS team celebrated a minimal victory with 1: 0, and Lipuščeks scored the only goal.Also in this round, on Saturday, “Spartaks” will host “Liepāja” at Jūrmala’s home, while on Sunday, the leader “Riga” will play at home with the “Tukums 2000” / TSS team in the opposite pole of the tournament table, “Ventspils” will welcome guests from “Daugavpils” club, but ” Valmiera “will duel with” Jelgava “in front of its fans.RFS has emerged as a leader in the Premier League, having 40 points in 16 battles. The second with 39 points in 14 matches is “Riga”, but the third place with 25 points is taken by “Valmiera”. Jūrmala “Spartak” has 22 points in 14 fights, “Ventspils” has accumulated 20 points in 15 dues, but “Daugavpils” and “Metta” team have 15 points in 15 matches, respectively. “Jelgava” has 14 points in 15 fights, “Liepāja” has 13 points in 14 games, but “Tukums 2000” / TSS has scored four points in 15 dues.last_img read more

`Big Man Cricket tournament ‘ in the works

first_imgThe Coronavirus pandemic has put a halt to cricket in Guyana and around the world but as the players on the international scene prepare to take the field again some countries are already enjoying the beautiful game under strict health guidelines.  In Guyana, however, team sports and similar recreational events have not yet received the green light to resume but, in the meantime, a new cricket tournament is in the planning stage.The Guyana Masters Cricket Association (GMCA) operates under the auspices of Cricket West Indies Masters Association (CWIMA).The new and exciting ‘Big Man Cricket’ tournament will be played among local teams once permission to resume the beautiful game in the land of many waters is given. The tournament will be for players 45-years and older who will play 45 overs-a-side contests using pink hard balls in the domestic tournament. Players over 45 are being considered at the domestic level to create a pool of quality cricketers and to get them accustomed to the format so that they are ready if selected at the Over-50s level.However, only players who will have attained 50 years of age on March 1st, 2022 will be eligible for selection at the national and regional levels.  Ideally, the organisers stated that they are looking to attract four teams from each of the counties to give as many players as possible the opportunity to turn back the clock. Interested persons, teams, clubs and/or sponsors are encouraged to enquire and sign up by contacting John Ramsingh of the GMCA, the local  Organizing Committee via e-mail [email protected], WhatsApp or telephone 664 3999 or Raj Singh via email [email protected]; WhatsApp +1239-699-7047. Also, potential sponsors will be sought but interested organizations are also encouraged to contact the committee for details.This tournament will be used to select a Guyana representative side to compete in the CWIMA Regional Over-50s tournament scheduled to be held in 2021. Additionally, the Regional tournament will be used to select players for the West Indies Over-50s side to play against other international teams and in the next Over-50s Cricket World Cup. The first ever West Indies Over-50s Cricket team which was recently formed took part in the Over-50s Cricket World Cup in Cape Town South Africa in March 2020. Unfortunately, after 2 and a half matches, the tournament was called off due to the threat of Coronavirus. The next Over-50s Cricket World Cup is set to return to Cape Town in 2022 once given the go ahead.last_img read more