Notes: Clark making most of big break at N.C. State

first_imgKAPALUA, Hawaii – Tim Clark knows all about pressure, and not just when he’s in contention at a golf tournament. Clark has had a productive career as he enters his 14th season on the PGA Tour. His two victories include The Players Championship. His six international titles include the Australian Open and Scottish Open. He has played on three Presidents Cup teams. And it all started with a tryout in the North Carolina snow. For a South African who didn’t have the pedigree of an Ernie Els or Retief Goosen, Clark never imagined how he could get to the toughest tour in golf. Travel was long and expensive. A chance to play college golf turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to him. There was another South African playing at North Carolina State, and one year his father had come over to watch Simon Hobday in the U.S. Senior Open at Pinehurst. He spoke to Wolfpack golf coach Richard Sykes about Clark, who was approaching his 20th birthday. ”His dad spoke to the coach and said, ‘Listen, there’s a kid in South Africa who would really like to come and play on your team right now if you’d give him a chance,”’ Clark said. ”So he called me up and said, ‘You can come in the spring. If you play any good, you can stay. If you don’t, sorry, your scholarship is gone.’ And then I made first-team All-American in the spring.” But it wasn’t that easy. Clark had only been to America once in his life. He came over in 1993 with Rory Sabbatini to play in the International Junior Masters (Sabbatini won). They headed over to Las Vegas for an AJGA and were asked to qualify (Clark was the only one who did). The Junior World at Torrey Pines was the next week, but Clark said South Africa was banned because of apartheid. And then he went home, until North Carolina State gave him a chance – with a caveat. ”I left South Africa on Christmas Day because that’s the cheapest flight,” Clark said. ”We landed and it was snowing. And I was like, ‘Wow, I’m not prepared for this.’ I live in weather like this (Hawaii) all year round. Coach picked me up. He had never seen me play before and he took me to hit balls – straight off the plane, in the snow. He just wanted to see what he had.” Clark apparently swung the club good enough. Along with getting off to an All-American start that spring, he won the U.S. Amateur Public Links the next year and played in the 1998 Masters. He turned pro later that year, spent two years on the Nationwide Tour, won twice in 2000 to the PGA Tour and was on his way. ”The biggest opportunity I had in my career was to go there and play,” Clark said. It’s not an unusual path for international players. Colin Montgomerie went to Houston Baptist. Luke Donald went to Northwestern, earned a degree in art and won an NCAA title. Graeme McDowell played at Alabama-Birmingham. Back then, it was rarer for South Africans given the distance and lack of attention unless young Springboks could make frequent trips to America. ”When we grew up, the PGA Tour was like an afterthought,” Clark said. ”You never thought that was even a possibility. I was lucky to come over to college and have that opportunity. For most of us, that was so far-fetched. Financially, it’s a big thing to come from South Africa to play Q-school. Guys can’t afford it. For me, that was probably the biggest break I ever had in my career.” MONDAY FINISH: The Hyundai Tournament of Champions is the second PGA Tour event that ends on a Monday. The other is the Deutsche Bank Championship, which has ended on Labor Day since its inception in 2003 and it works beautifully with the Boston community. As for Kapalua? The decision to switch to a Monday finish didn’t make sense four years ago, and it doesn’t make sense now. For sure, the tour wants to get away from the NFL playoffs. But the NFL is not played on Sunday night – the second game ends about 8 p.m. EST – and that would be ideal for the frigid part of the mainland to watch the final round from Kapalua with scenic shots of surf and humpbacks. Instead, it’s only the third round. The final round Monday ends before the college championship game. But the guess here is that most fans aren’t watching golf, they’re watching the pre-game show. Worse yet, it cuts into the following week at the Sony Open, a loyal sponsor that is not treated like one by giving it a shorter week. CHANGING TIMES: When the Tournament of Champions first came to Kapalua in 1999, there were 13 major champions in the 30-man field. There are four major champions in the 34-man field this year. Of course, some of those 13 major champions make 1999 seem a long time ago. The field included Tom Watson and Scott Simpson. The regular winners included Brandel Chamblee.last_img read more

People / Mike Hill moves up to become head of freight at Air Partner

first_imgBy Sophia Murray 04/05/2016 Air Partner has promoted Mike Hill (pictured) to become its director of freight.Mr Hill joined the group in 2007 as business development manager, launching its Frankfurt office, before becoming regional freight manager. He will remain in Germany.He said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed my time building up Air Partner’s European freight presence and am delighted to now be expanding my role across the group. …The team has built up an enviable global freight business, leaving me well placed to capitalise on opportunities within the industry.”Air Partner, which works exclusively with freight forwarders, recently announced that gross profit rose 24% to £27.3m. Its freight division saw a 21% increase in gross profit to £1.9m, with operating profits of £0.8,m, up 100% year-on-year.New head of products Richard Smith said: ”Mike has consistently achieved great results, as evidenced by the growth of the German office, and I have no doubt he will continue to do so as Air Partner further develops its freight offering.”last_img read more

High Surf Keeps Calif. Lifeguards Busy

first_img It was treacherous, he said, adding that he tried to jump in near Steamer Lane, but I couldn t get out there. Nine lifeguards and firefighters on the lookout for surfers in distress watched from the cliff and in the water after a 2 p.m. high tide. The National Weather Service planned to call off its high-surf warning at 4 a.m. today, predicting swells of up to 25 feet overnight from Point Arena to Point Pigeon and up to 20 feet for points south. The Associated Press contributed to this report. Santa Cruz Port Director Brian Foss said the high surf was the biggest he remembered in the past several years. He said waves up to 3 feet high rolled through the harbor and rose to 14 feet near the wharf. I ve never seen it break out this far, McCord said. It s beautiful any time, but it s exciting today. Waves 14 feet high Warnings issued This is Santa Cruz, he said. They don t go to work or school, they surf. C.J. Flores of Santa Cruz ambled down West Cliff Drive after getting battered by the swell off Its Beach. He said waves were triple their typical size. If someone needs to be rescued after being warned by authorities, McCaslin said that person can be responsible for the cost of the rescue. While the high surf drew daredevils and experts to the waves and big crowds to watch the spectacle also brought State Parks lifeguards, the city s marine rescue crew, firefighters and paramedics to West Cliff Drive on Tuesday. Rain or wind could keep people out of the water, even if the swell continues to pound the coast, he said, adding We re really going to be watching the weather closely. Surfer Laura Williams of Santa Cruz stood on the bluff near Cowell Beach, watching several surfers get temporarily backed into a cove by strong currents. She said she could tell they were inexperienced based on their novice paddling. He said he was unsure whether crews would remain after dark or be sent out today. We re doing a pre-emptive thing, Santa Cruz fire Battalion Chief Matt McCaslin said as he manned two radios and two phones from his command vehicle parked at the south end of Mitchell s Cove. It doesn t happen that often that we get a big winter storm and a decent day. center_img The current pushes people into the rocks, she said. They shouldn t be out here. Lifeguards patrolled the coast warning surfers of the dangerous conditions, but authorities are limited in their ability to keep surfers safe. Lifeguards on personal watercrafts towed four troubled surfers through the breaker to the beach at Mitchell s. Another surfer at Cowell Beach needed help after a wave crashed him into the wharf, splintered his board and spat him onto the beach. Harbor Patrol also rescued a surfer about 8 a.m. near Capitola who was described as prehypothermic. MONTEREY, Cali. — Ferociously high surf charged by storms in the Pacific Northwest exhausted surfers and rescuers alike as 20-foot swells crashed off the misty Monterey Bay, Calif., coastline Tuesday, forcing dozens of surfers from the water. Bob Koval of Santa Cruz said he usually surfs three hours at a time, but said the high surf forced him out in half the time. Still, it didn t amaze him others stayed in. Back in Santa Cruz, for spectators, the high surf was a visual and auditory delight. Two Coast Guard helicopters equipped with night-vision goggles and two vessels were dispatched to search for the fishing boat. The Good Guys is reportedly owned by Ben Hannaberg, said to be a contractor who has operated out of Pillar Point for about five years. Up north, a commercial crab fishing boat went missing near Pillar Point Harbor on Tuesday afternoon. Good Guys, a 25-foot vessel with two aboard, was returning to the harbor from crabbing along with a second boat, Majek, shortly after 1 p.m. The two boats were in contact with each other, but the Majek lost contact with the other boat. About 1:30 p.m., an electronic locator beacon from the missing boat was detected south of Pillar Point, but there has been no sign of the boat itself by about 7 p.m. Tuesday. Jann McCord and Kathy Haber, who live near Its Beach and walk along West Cliff Drive frequently, said they heard the waves crashing throughout the night Monday. They walked to the waterfront Tuesday afternoon to get an up-close look at the waves crashing near the Surfing Museum. These are exceptionally big waves, Foss said. Legally, we can t order them out of the water but we sure as heck can give them an advisory, Chief McCaslin said. Contact Jennifer Squires at [email protected] Contact J.M. Brown at [email protected]last_img read more

Governor Shumlin: Reversing the trend of rising incarceration rates

first_imgby Governor Peter Shumlin For most of the last two decades, Vermont’s prison inmate population has been rising. Between 1997 and 2008, it grew by 86 percent. Projections made in 2007 said that Vermont’s inmate population would grow to 2,619 by November 2015. After years of work to reform Vermont’s criminal justice system that trend has been reversed, and today Vermont has 1,734 inmates, 885 less than projected.When I first ran for Governor I made reforming the criminal justice system a priority because it is the right thing to do. I also said doing so would save us money and allow us to invest in things early childhood education, which we know to reduce the likelihood that someone will land in jail later in life.The math is simple: It costs a staggering $62,000 per year to lock up an inmate in Vermont. Had the projections from 2007 proved correct, Vermont taxpayers would have been on the hook for another 885 inmates. By reversing the trend on incarceration rates, we are saving Vermont taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.Instead of continuing down the path of rising incarceration rates and spending massive amounts of money to lock people up, we are taking a different path. Next year, Vermont will become the first state in America to guarantee access to pre-k education to every three and four year old. That’s progress and a much better use of taxpayer money.How’d we reverse the trend of rising incarceration rates? By taking meaningful steps to create a more rational criminal justice system and working with leaders like Bennington County Senator Dick Sears, Chittenden County States Attorney TJ Donovan, and many others on the cutting edge of criminal justice reform.Together, we launched a War on Recidivism to help inmates successfully transition back into their communities and reduce recidivism rates. After identifying opiate addiction as a one of the most pressing challenges facing our state and the entire country, we’re now offering treatment instead of jail to low-level, non-violent offenders suffering from addiction. To help Vermonters move on with their lives and become productive members of our communities, we also expanded Vermont’s expungement law to help past offenders with good behavior clear their records and eliminated criminal penalties for the possession of small amounts of marijuana.The state is also leading by example by “banning the box” on job applications. By removing questions about criminal records from the very first part of job applications for state employees we are helping to prevent applicants from being immediately screened out of a job because of a past criminal conviction.Earlier this year I worked with my Pathways from Poverty Council and Chittenden County States Attorney TJ Donovan on a pilot Driver Restoration Day that helped hundreds of Vermonters get their licenses reinstated so they can drive to work and move forward with their lives.And lastly, under the leadership of former Windsor County State’s Attorney Robert Sand, we’re working with criminal justice professionals throughout the state to develop innovative and effective sentencing practices, including the creation of DUI treatment dockets in Vermont, which increase substance abuse recovery rates, lower recidivism rates, and save on corrections and other costs.Together we’re creating a more rational criminal justice system in Vermont. And the result is a state that spends less money to lock people up and more money to provide a head start for our youngest and most promising citizens. That’s the way it should be.last_img read more